So you and your significant other, or you and bestie, are looking for some place to eat. Whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, your requirements are simple: good, but cheap.
This kind of leaves you with a short list, considering the most talked about (and delicious) places can break your shoestring budget. But have no fear. We’ve looked far and wide (across Palm Beach County at least) to find you taste-worthy meals for two for under for $40.
Warning, we are not including you drinking the night away on champagne, indulging in a three-course meal or calorie-splurging on dessert. This is for the savvy foodie, who wants good food, but knows it shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.
For Breakfast / Brunch / Lunch:
Sara’s Kitchen is a hole in the wall of a very “business-looking” plaza. This place resembles your favorite neighborhood diner where they serve breakfast all day with a smile. You will need Sara’s Kitchen most when you and your BFF had a little too much fun the night before and are looking to solve your problems with comfort food.
- Must try: Panhandle Benedict with hash browns or grits for $9.49 and Bananas Foster French Toast for $9.99 with a coffee for $2.99
- Total Cost: Around $27 (including tax/tip)
- Address: 2000 PGA Blvd., Building A, Suite #3140, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00 am – 2:45 pm | Saturday-Sunday 7:00 am – 1:45 (yes, that is the exact time)
- More: http://saraskitchenpalmbeachgardens.com/
The French House
With a cozy and cutesy atmosphere, The French House makes the perfect brunch spot for you and your boo to start your day. The warm and helpful staff makes the place really come alive and feel authentic. Bon appetite!
- Must try: Buffala baguette for $13.50 and splurge a little for the French Brunch for $16.50.
- Total Cost: Cutting it close, but still making it at almost $37 (tax/tip included)
- Address: 821 Lake Avenue, Lake Worth, FL 33461
- Hours: Tuesday-Friday 10:00 am – 2:30 pm | Saturday-Sunday 9:30 am – 2:30 pm | Breakfast on Saturday 9:30 am – 11:30 & all-day breakfast on Sundays
- More: http://www.thefrenchhousecafe.com/
Most people aren’t familiar with this new-ish, downtown Swedish spot. Or they’ve seen it but are too afraid to try something as different as Swedish cuisine. But hey, Swedes are known for their meatballs, but you may leave loving their pastries. At Johan’s Joe, the décor is modern and clean, there’s free wifi (score!) and a helpful staff.
- Must try: Savory Crepes for $10.50 and the Classic Swedish Meatball Plate $10.95 and throw in a Frappe Iced Latte for $3.95.
- Total Cost: Roughly $30 (including tax/tip)
- Address: 401. S Dixie Hwy. West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Hours: Sunday – Monday 7 am – 4 pm
- More: http://www.johansjoe.com/food
Alaina’s Bake Shoppe & Café
If you can make it through the lunchtime rush on Northlake Blvd., reward yourself with a sandwich at Alaina’s. Get a fully-packed Panini or cold sammie, filled with fancy meats and delectable cheeses or for a quick (and sweet) bite, try the specialty cupcakes.
- Must try: Two Pigs & a Birdie Panini and Peary Good Panini for $10.95 each
- Total Cost: $26.68 (including tip/tax)
- Address: 4377 Northlake Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:00 am to – 5:00 pm
- More: http://www.alainasbakeshoppe.com/
KeKe’s Breakfast Cafe
If you’re in the mood for a classic, American breakfast, but also want some elbow room for digging in and some colorful art to gaze into after each bite, KeKe’s is the place for you. No, it is not an IHOP or a Denny’s, and yes, the portions are huge. The specialty is pancakes (and this time of year, the pumpkin ones are everything), but the French toast is bomb too.
- Must try: Create Your Own Combo with pancakes, French toast or waffles for about $10
- Total Cost: $26 (including tip/tax)
- Address: 10120 Forest Hill Blvd., Wellington, FL 33414
- Hours: Monday-Sunday 7:00 am to – 2:30 pm
- More: http://www.kekes.com/kekes-wellington.html
Grilled Cheese Gallery
What’s better than a homemade grilled cheese sandwich? A gooey, restaurant grilled cheese sandwich from the Grilled Cheese Gallery (less clean up, duh). You honestly can’t go wrong with grilled cheese, but this place takes it to a whole new level, stuffing it with things like pulled pork, brie and mac and cheese. Yes, I just said that: grilled cheese, mac and cheese.
- Must try: The Mac Daddy for $8.50 and The Artist for $10.
- Total Cost: About $23 (including tax and 15% tip).
- Address: 422 Northwood Rd., West Palm Beach, FL 33407
- Hours: Sunday – Thursday 11:00 am – 9:00 pm | Friday – Saturday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
- More: https://www.facebook.com/GrilledCheeseGallery/
Join the likes of famous Irishmen (Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw) as you indulge in a traditional Irish meal at The Dubliner. Although the restaurant is in busy Mizner Park, inside feels like your favorite pub, complete with Guinness, Jameson and Baileys. And guess what? It’s open late.
- Must try: The Famous Shepherd’s Pie for $16.50 and the McMac and Cheese for $11.
- Total Cost: For just $34 (tax/tip included) you have a foodie trip to Ireland in Boca Raton
- Address: 435 Plaza Real (Mizner Park) Boca Raton, Fl 33432
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 4:00 pm – 2:00 am | Sunday: 12:00 pm – 2:00 am
- More: http://sub-culture.org/dubliner/
Kapow Noodle Bar
Also hidden in the large scope of Mizner Park, Kapow gives a new twist to noodles. Take seat at the indoor-outdoor bar and enjoy a wide variety of small plates, dumplings and ramen. Share the plates to get the most out of your meal.
- Must try: Pan-Seared Pork Gyoza for $7.50, Short Rib Steamed Buns for $9 and Pork Ramen for $16.
- Total Cost: Hits close to $40 (with tax/tip included), so maybe save this for a fun date night before drinks and a movie.
- Address: 431 Plaza Real (Mizner Park) Boca Raton, Fl 33432
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11:30 am – 12:00 am | Friday-Satuday 11:30 am – 2:00 am
- More: http://kapownoodlebar.com/
Whether you are looking for a big sit down meal, or are having the late night munchies, Havana has you covered. The authentic Cuban food is unbeatable, and the celebs agree. Stars such as Martha Stewart and Sofia Vergara are frequent visitors to the spot on the corner of Dixie and Forest Hill.
- Must try: Sandwich Cubano for $8.69 and Chicharrones de Pollo for $13.99 or eat your weight in empanadas at the walk-up window.
- Total Cost: About $28 (including tax/tip).
- Address: 6801 S. Dixie Hwy., West Palm Beach, FL
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm | Friday-Saturday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm | 24 hour walk-up window
- More: http://www.havanacubanfood.com/
So The Counter may be in a mall, but it’s a far, far stretch from what the food court is serving up (insert praised hands emoji here). It is a famous burger chain, with locations mostly in California, and some even in Ireland and Malaysia. If you’re splurging, you can create your own burger, but for the best price, it’s best to stick to what they create — whether that’s Brie cheese over American or Crab Cake over beef.
- Must try: Why the Face burger for $12.25 and BBQ Bacon for $13 with a side of Parmesan Fries for $8.
- Total Cost: Right at $40 (including tax/tip), so if you want to ditch the fries to save a few bucks, the burgers are still filling enough.
- Address: 3101 PGA Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens, Fl 33410 (in the Gardens Mall)
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm | Friday-Saturday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm | Sunday 11:30 am – 9:00 pm
- More: http://www.thecounterburger.com/PalmBeachGardens_FL/
Carmine’s Coal Fired Pizza
Split at pizza pie (or two) at Carmine’s Coal Fired Pizza. Carmine’s has many different kinds of locations (a market, an upscale restaurant, a burger place and a seafood place), but this location will make you feel warm and cozy, thanks to the intimate interior and wall of brick oven pizzas. Stick to the pizzas, but ask for extra toppings.
- Must try: Pizza Pesto (medium) for $15.95 and the White Pizza (medium) $15.95.
- Total Cost: Coming to a close $39 (including tip/tax), but come on, you’re getting two pizzas with the works.
- Address: 4575 Military Trail, Jupiter, Fl 33458
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11:00 am – 10 pm | Friday-Saturday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
- More: http://www.carminescfp.com/index.html
You will never find a faster meal than at Rancho Chicos. Take a seat in the eclectic dining room that looks like it belongs in a theme park and munch on endless (warm) chips and (spicy) salsa until your meal arrives. The beans and rice, which in most Mexican restaurants are discarded to the side due to lack of flavor, are killer at Chico’s and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you finish them.
- Must try: Combination Cheese Enchilada & beef burrito with rice and beans for $10.25 and the Dos Spinach Enchiladas for $9.99.
- Total Cost: $24.61 (including tax/tip).
- Address: 6390 Indiantown Rd., Jupiter, Fl 33458
- Hours: 7 days a week 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
- More: http:/http://www.ranchochico.net/
One of the best things about Thai Lotus (other than the fact that it is delicious) is the big portions. It is the perfect place for you and your beau to share a dish or two. Try a curry! A noodle! A roll! A soup! Whatever your heart desires — just make sure you get two. And get ready for some heat. Thai Lotus ranks “spiciness” on a scale of 1-4 stars, 1 being easy to digest and 4 being fire dancing on your tongue. Believe it or not, 3 stars is perfect.
- Must try: Massamun Curry with tofu for $11.95, Pad Thai with beef for $10.95 and the Crunch Roll $9.95.
- Total Cost: Just hits the $40 (including tax/tip), but if you share it all, it’s one heck of a meal.
- Address: 201 North U.S. Hwy., Jupiter, Fl 33477
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11:30 am – 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm | Saturday 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm | Sunday 5:00pm – 9:00 pm (no sushi)
- More: http://www.thailotusflorida.com/
What meals did we miss? Comment below with your favorite cheap (but tasty) eats in Palm Beach County!