The unexpected can happen when National Guacamole Day falls on a Friday (which would be today). The craving for blinged out, creamy avocado dip and those unruly TGIF thoughts can build – and before you know it, you’re swigging micheladas and diving into a bowl of green goop.
Then again, the unexpected can involve something less basic. It can involve ginger, as does the Ginger Guacamole at Avocado Grill in downtown West Palm Beach.
How does one use ginger in guac? We’ve got the recipe. TGIF, indeed!
Avocado Grill’s Ginger Guacamole
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Julien Gremaud.
3 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons diced tomato
2 tablespoons diced jalapeño
1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon Sriracha
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice avocados in half. Discard the seed. Scoop flesh out of shell with a spoon and place in bowl.
- Add 1/2 of the lime juice immediately to prevent browning. Use a fork and mash to desired consistency.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, jalapeño, ginger, Sriracha, and cilantro. Stir gently to mix ingredients.
- Add remainder of lime juice, plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir just slightly, until incorporated.
- Serve as a dip with your favorite tortilla chips, or use with your favorite dish.